[SoC] Proposal for wxGUI layout modifications

Casey Vandenberg casey.vandenberg at sjgeophysics.com
Tue Apr 14 11:58:18 EDT 2009

I have recently noticed the proposal to alter the wxGUI interface this
summer as part of the Google Summer of Code. I am not certain if
developers have brought this to the community for discussion as of yet,
but I did want to throw in my two cents.  I am personally against the
idea of having one window consisting of the display layers, toolbars and
map window.  I feel that the current setup is ideal as it allows users
the opportunity to maximize the map window size (particularly beneficial
if one is working with two monitors, as the map window can be dedicated
to one monitor and all other tools and programs to the second window). I
feel by docking everything together in one screen would limit the
quality and usefulness of the map display window.

If this proposal were to be accepted or implemented, procedures should
be put in place to ensure that the map window can be docked/undocked
from the main display so that it can still be maximized across an entire
monitor.