[SoC] Sextante algorithm execution dialog: new log pane, nicer error messages. Persistent recent algorithm list.

Camilo Polymeris cpolymeris at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 14:09:07 PDT 2012

Hello all,
this is a copy of the report found at http://sextante-gsoc.blogspot.com/
"
This week was finally a more productive, in my opinion. I have added a
Log pane to the algorithm execution dialog, including a lot of info
useful for debugging algorithms and, in particular, models.
Besides the usual information, which is also shown above the progress
bar and error messages, this pane shows the exact commandline, the
console output and debug information (in blue in the screenshot[1]).
These can be turned off from the Sextante options dialog, and are
available for the modeler, SAGA, GRASS, OTB and, hopefully today, R.
Note that this panel is only shown in threaded execution mode, or if
you set the dialog to not automatically close on algorithm completion.
Also, this dialog now features nicer error reporting, in my opinion,
when possible using the progress label instead of blocking popups and
highlighting missing parameter values, as [shown here: 1].
I hope this helps identify bugs when developing for Sextante and
designing models.
Another, albeit unrelated, addition to the Sextante UI experience this
week is that now the "recently used algorithms" list is persistent
between sessions, a simple change that I find very practical.

One issue I encountered this week was that the test suite stopped to
work. This, seemingly, because I updated the qgis core. This might
have introduced changes in the interface that I haven't been able to
identify, yet.
"

Comments are appreciated,
Camilo