[SoC] GSoC 2017 - Week 5, NASA ESA WebWorldWind - Marker Cluster

Simone Battaglia simonebt92 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 2 08:23:21 PDT 2017

Hello everyone,

My name is Simone and I'm in the GSoC with a MarkerCluster Plugin for
ESA/NASA Web World Wind.

What did you get done this week?
This week, as planned, I managed to hide all the markers outside the
current view. I spent almost all week researching on all the approaches to
do that, and to improve performances I ended up using a camera model for a
2D view. Which works very well on small areas, like in our case. While, on
a bigger area, I will implement maybe the 3D camera model, as suggested by
my mentors.
I also created a smooth navigation to match zoom levels with cluster
levels. I also implemented a GitHub page where is possible to test a demo
with 200k markers.
Demo: https://simonebt92.github.io/NASA-WWW-MarkerCluster

What do you plan on doing next week?
I will try to understand how to correlate zoom levels from WorldWind
(camera range) with zoom levels from the cluster and its radius, and an
optimal number of markers to show on each level.

Are you blocked on anything?
I'm not totally blocked but I'm struggling on finding a good way to show
the right amount of clusters and select a good radius when clustering.

Wiki:
https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GSoC_2017_-_NASA/ESA_WebWorldWind_Marker_Cluster
Last Commit:
https://github.com/simonebt92/NASA-WWW-MarkerCluster/commit/ccc67150b2f71f0b76b937d28cfbc713dae2ab1f