[STDM-dev] Geopackage non-spatial attributes

Arnulf Christl arnulf.christl at metaspatial.net
Tue May 2 07:11:18 PDT 2017

Folks,
the GeoPackage 1.2 revision is in public comment period now. I just
scanned it and found this clarifying note:

From:
https://portal.opengeospatial.org/files/?artifact_id=73792&version=1#Clause_Critical

Non-spatial attribute data are sets (or tuples or rows) of observations
that may not have an explicit geometry property. A strict read of
GeoPackage v1.1 does not allow non-spatial attribute values. However, in
practice data providers routinely need to deliver data that does not
contain geometry properties. Requiring any GeoPackage that contains
non-spatial tables to be declared and documented as an "Extended
GeoPackage" is not reasonable and does not promote interoperability.
Therefore, the standard has been modified to allow this data to be
stored in user-define attribute tables as part of a basic GeoPackage.
This change is considered to be low-risk because it creates a new
encoding option that would be ignored by previous versions of the standard.

[EOF]

So we were right in suspecting that this requirement is not quite useful
and going forward it will be perfectly fine to have non-spatial data in
a geopackage.

If you have anything else you need to know re GeoPackage, please let me
know.

Cheers,
Arnulf

--