[TCMUG] Thanks Reid

David William Bitner david.bitner at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 10:05:39 EDT 2009

Hey Reid,

I just wanted to write to thank you for swinging by yesterday.  I also
wanted to give some links relevant to our discussions.

Routing --
PgRouting -- has been around for a few years, is fairly easy (for someone
used to working a lot in PostGIS and following their tutorials) to get going
with if they are already using PostGIS.  Development is primarily by Orkney
in Japan with I think some collaboration with Camp-to-Camp in Switzerland.
I don't think the user community is very vibrant as far as mailing list
support etc.
http://pgrouting.postlbs.org/

GraphServer --
This is one I don't know too much about but seems very very cool.
Especially some of the work that they are doing with multi-modal routing (ie
bike+bus).
http://graphserver.sourceforge.net/
One cool thing that could be especially useful in a bike application is that
GraphServer natively support the Google Transit Feed data formats which
MetroTransit already kicks out.
The gallery is also very cool --
http://graphserver.sourceforge.net/gallery.html

Just to point out a lightweight feature editing server --
http://featureserver.org
FeatureServer's primary transfer format is GeoJSON (http://geojson.org) but
also supports others.  There is an example page of it working with the (all
javascript) feature editing capabilities of OpenLayers (
http://openlayers.org) at http://featureserver.org/demo.html.  There is some
work going on with feature snapping in OpenLayers -- an example from one of
the developers sandbox --
http://dev.openlayers.org/sandbox/camptocamp/snapping/examples/modify-feature.html

Geocoding --
The geocoding library that is behind the MetroGIS geocoder is PAGC (
http://www.pagcgeo.org/) --  all open source.  Dan Putler (*dan*.*putler* at
sauder.*ubc*.ca), a professor at University of British Columbia , is the
chair of the project steering committee.  I believe that PAGC's roots are as
a research program at UBC.  I know for certain that the MetroGIS group that
runs the geocoder would be more than happy to take any suggestions for
settings in the geocoder or to wrap in in a timely manner any improvements
that may be able to be made with the PAGC group.

Cheers,

David