[Tilecache] TileCache, a fast Tile Server

Paul Spencer pagameba at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 13:41:24 EDT 2007

Note that mapserver no longer has a hard limit on the size of the
image compiled.  The default size is 2048x2048, but you can override
this in your mapfile using:

MAXSIZE [integer]
Sets the maximum size of the map image. This will override the
default value. For example, setting this to 2048 means that you can
have up to 2048 pixels in both dimensions (i.e. max of 2048x2048).

We have experimented with rendering meta tiles up to 24 x 24
(6144x6144 pixels) with good success.  In general, rendering larger
meta tiles takes longer, but the overall tiles/sec increases ...
which was a little counter-intuitive to me, I assumed that it would
actually start to get worse at some point.  But thinking about it, it
does make sense that mapserver has somewhat less work to do because
it can draw more with the same set of brushes, so the overhead of
initialization of the individual renders becomes less of a factor.

I'm not sure if there is an upper limit on this, we stopped at 24x24
because it was convenient to do so.  Also this assumes you are pre-
rendering, not building the cache on the fly.  If you are building
the cache on the fly, it becomes unacceptable to wait for such a
large map draw for one tile request.

Cheers

Paul