[Tilecache] TileCache-2.0ish refactor

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Dec 6 07:31:53 EST 2007

On Thu, Dec 06, 2007 at 09:45:42AM +0000, Graham Carlyle wrote:
> On Wed, 2007-12-05 at 01:29 -0500, Christopher Schmidt wrote:
> > A request a couple weeks ago from Graham Carlyle
> > (http://openlayers.org/pipermail/tilecache/2007-November/000575.html)
> > has been integrated into this design: Graham, this means you can
> > probably use trunk of TileCache now without changing anything on your
> > setup. (There is a way in the tilecache config to ad paths to your
> > sys.path if that's neccesary for you.)
>
> Cool, sounds good.
>
> Another need that I think I'll have to patch the code for is to generate
> layer availability dynamically.

> So instead of having all the layers defined explicitly in tilecache.cfg
> I want to do some of this programmatically. Some of the layer
> availability info I've got lives in a database and I don't really want
> to duplicate that in tilecache.cfg.

Right, at the point when you want to do this, you can use a custom
Service you craft yourself in Python. The Config file is a convenience:
Example.py shows how to do this manually, rather than in the config
file.

Others have done this, and I'm probably going to need to at some point
in the relatively near future for a personal project
(http://openaerialmap.org/), so if you have questions, feel free to ask.