[Tilecache] cannot identify image file

Pascal Ehlert pascal.ehlert at odadata.eu
Wed Oct 31 11:55:31 EDT 2007

Hi all!

First, I'm new to this list and would like to thank all Tilecache
developers and contributors for their work!

Okay, let's come to the actual problem..
I'm trying to use the MetaCarta "satellite" layer as a background in
my application (I hope this is allowed).
I could include it directly into OpenLayers, but I don't want to put
extra load on the MetaCarta server and am thus trying to use
Tilecache as a proxy there which, once all images I need are
downloaded, acts as the only server.

My Tilecache configuration now looks like this:

[MetaCarta_satellite]
type=WMSLayer
url=http://labs.metacarta.com/wms-c/Basic.py
layers=satellite
extension=png
metaTile=false
debug=false

This configuration works in OpenLayers, but using Tilecache I get the
following error instead of an image:

An error occurred: cannot identify image file
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/TileCache/Service.py", line
452, in wsgiHandler
     format, image = service.dispatchRequest( fields, path_info,
req_method, host )
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/TileCache/Service.py", line
405, in dispatchRequest
     return self.renderTile(tile, params.has_key('FORCE'))
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/TileCache/Service.py", line
367, in renderTile
     data = layer.render(tile)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/TileCache/Layer.py", line
248, in render
     image = self.renderMetaTile(metatile, tile)
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/TileCache/Layer.py", line
211, in renderMetaTile
     image = Image.open( StringIO.StringIO(data) )
   File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/PIL/Image.py", line 1745,
in open
     raise IOError("cannot identify image file")

I hope anyone has an idea.. I couldn't find anything like this in the
web..
Thank you in advance!

Pascal