[Tilecache] TileCache with Google Maps ?

Gregor Mosheh gregor at hostgis.com
Mon Apr 28 19:23:36 EDT 2008

>> Am I wrong, that the tileUrlTemplate method you're using could only work
>> if the cache were already seeded and accessible to the web?
> Yes, you are wrong. This works through the TileCache TMS frontend, which
> has nothing to do with the backend diskcache.

Hm; so the /1.0.0/layername/ part of the URL signifies a TMS request?
Pardon me if I'm a bit lost; I'm used to OpenLayers and TileCache, and
Google Maps and WMS, but not Google Maps and TileCache-TMS.

>> I also note that Google Maps' WMS requests use EPSG:54004 and not
>> EPSG:900913  I'm fine with listing them both in wms_srs but perhaps you
>> could clarify which one is used for what occassions?
>  * Google doesn't use WMS at all internally.
>  * The TileCache example I posted in that entry doesn't use EPSG:54004
>    for anything.

Right. The WMS-for-GoogleMaps stuff I've seen all uses EPSG:54004 and
not EPSG:900913, and I have the access logs to prove it. Hopefully once
I get your example working, some of this will make more sense.

# World Mercator / Google Maps
<54004> +proj=merc +latts=0 +lon0=0 +k=1.000000 +x0=0 +y0=0 +ellps=WGS84
+datum=WGS84 +units=m no_defs <>
# World Mercator / Google Maps
<900913> +proj=merc +a=6378137 +b=6378137 +lat_ts=0.0 +lon_0=0.0
+x_0=0.0 +y_0=0 +k=1.0 +units=m +nadgrids=@null +no_defs

--
Gregor Mosheh / Greg Allensworth, BS, A+
System Administrator

  only if you can restore." - AMANDA