[Tilecache] Problems displaying raster layers from Mapserver WMS

Roger André randre at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 17:01:55 EDT 2008

Hi,

I'm having a problem with the display of RASTER type layers from my
Mapserver WMS.  Basically, if I point the tilecache.cfg to a layer that is a
vector type (POLYGON or LINE), Tilecache will properly read it, make a tile
request, and cache it.  However, if I change the layer in the .cfg to point
to a RASTER layer, Tilecache doesn't seem to make the request, and no tile
is generated.  The only way I've found so far to display just the raster
data with Tilecache is to call on both a vector and a raster layer at the
same time, and set the opacity of the vector to "0".

*My tilecache.cfg entry looks like this:*
[temp]
type=WMS
url=http://10.10.10.143/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/mapfiles/temp2/temp.map
layers=countries
spherical_mercator=true
metabuffer=15

*My mapfiles look like this:*
# temp.map
MAP
  NAME  'temp'
  PROJECTION
    "init=epsg:4326"
  END
  EXTENT -130.000000 -50.000000 -30.000000 60.000000
  SIZE 800 800

# layers to include in map
  INCLUDE "imagery.map"
  INCLUDE "countries.map"

# WEB PARAMETERS
    WEB
        IMAGEURL "http://localhost/tmp"
        IMAGEPATH "/var/www/html/tmp"
    END # end web

# OUTPUT FORMAT SPECIFICATION
  OUTPUTFORMAT
   NAME png
   DRIVER "AGG/PNG"
   MIMETYPE "image/png"
   IMAGEMODE RGBA
   EXTENSION "png"
   FORMATOPTION "TRANSPARENT=ON"
   FORMATOPTION "INTERLACE=OFF"
   TRANSPARENT ON
  END #end outputformat

*- imagery.map:*
# imagery.map
  LAYER
    NAME 'imagery'
    TYPE RASTER
    STATUS DEFAULT
    DATA  '3k_color.tif'
    TRANSPARENCY 50
    PROJECTION
      "init=epsg:4326"
    END
  END

*- countries.map:
*  LAYER
    NAME 'countries'
    TYPE POLYGON
    STATUS DEFAULT
    PROJECTION
      "init=epsg:4326"
    END
  TRANSPARENCY 0

    METADATA
      "wms_srs"             "EPSG:4326 EPSG:900913"
      "wms_name"            "countries"
      "wms_server_version"  "1.1.1"
      "wms_format"          "image/png"
      "wms_onlineresource"  "
http://localhost/cgi-bin/mapserv?map=/var/www/mapfiles/temp/temp.map&"
    END

    DATA 'countries_simpl.shp'
      CLASS
        STYLE
          OUTLINECOLOR 255 0 0
        END
      END # end class
  END # end layer

It seems to me like something about the Mapserver RASTER layer is
displeasing to Tilecache, but I'm not sure what.

Has anyone hit this problem, and is there a simple fix for it?

Thanks,

Roger
--
*