[Tilecache] how to speed up tilecache seeding in Tilecache_seed.py

Frederic Junod frederic.junod at camptocamp.com
Wed Jun 3 10:59:46 EDT 2009

Hi,

The meta tiling system works for me with the trunk version [1].
Make sure you have the:
  metaTile=true
  metaSize=11,11
in your layers options.
Meta tiling is off by default even if you have a metaSize.

Regards,
fredj

PS: lucky you; I have more that 9'000'000 tiles in my last level :-)

[1] http://svn.tilecache.org/trunk/tilecache

On Wed, Jun 3, 2009 at 3:58 PM, Alireza Kashian
<alireza.kashian at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi.
> I would like to know how we can making tiles faster in tilecache_seed.py
>
> The issue is that tilecache_seed.py tries to make tiles ONE by ONE..
> so for example, in our case, in last zoom levels we have 300,000 tiles and
> each tile is generate in 1 second because our Map File is very complex and
> parsing and making queries to PostGIS takes time.
>
> Actually MetaTiling is a very good solution, but the problem is that I feel
> Tilecache_seed.py does its job without attention to Meta Tiling..for
> example, our MetaTile is 11x11...so 121 Tiles are geneated in like 3-4
> seconds...but When I run Tilecache_seed.py . I see from the log that it
> makes tile requests one by one which takes like 300,000 seconds for just one
> of our zoom levels..
> Our map file is large , it is like 400 Kbyte..so I feel how hard it is to
> make queries 300,000 times for making 300,000 tiles :)
>
> How can we help Tilecache_seed.py to benefit from MetaTile config in
> Tilecache.cfg.
>
> Thanks
> Alireza

Frédéric Junod