[Tilecache] A new Layers/ for tilecache : Project.py

Martin GIRAUD-SAUVEUR mgs-tilecache at wasabout.net
Tue Mar 3 09:17:30 EST 2009

Hi all,
I've been developing a layer to project another layer.
Attached is the result that should be placed in "TileCache/Layers/"
directory of tilecache.
This "Project.py" layer is based on GDAL.py layer and on some tricks
from gdal2tile.py [0]

A draw back I can think of is a performance issue. There is room for
improvement !
I also only tested Project.py against a 2.10 version of tilecache in
apache2/mod_python
on a debian Etch (old-stable) with back ported version of packages :
  - gdal-bin => 1.5.2-3~bpo40+1
  - libgdal1-1.5.0 => 1.5.2-3~bpo40+1
  - libogdi3.2 => 3.2.0~beta1-3~bpo.1
  - proj => 4.6.0-1~bpo40+1
  - python-gdal => 1.5.2-3~bpo40+1
But I think it will run out-of-the box on the recently released Debian
Lenny (new stable).

Usage is described in the Project.py file (among other documentations),
but it is like
defining a new layer in tilecache.cf :

    [TEST]
    type=Project
    src_layer=basic
    spherical_mercator=true
    tms_type=google
    debug=false

Where "basic" is defined as an other layer.

I don't know if the name "Project" is appropriate for the layer, but I
would love to see it upstream :)
(Of course if it is useful for somebody else and not a duplicate)

What do you think ?

Regards,
Martin

[0] http://www.gdal.org/gdal2tiles.html