[Tilecache] WMS getMap interface

Josh Livni josh at umbrellaconsulting.com
Tue Sep 15 11:06:28 EDT 2009

I am not aware of any WMS servers that let you query (via WMS) for an image
of arbitrary extent, and use tiles (local or remote) as source data.
The only thing I've personally come across that seems like it might fill the
bill is ws-compose (part of modest maps codebase).  With ws-compose.py
running as a service, you can basically give it some arbitrary extent and
image size and a service provider for the tiles, and it will get the
appropriate tiles and stitch them together.

You may want to take a look at the branch that is within
http://github.com/mikelmaron/paperwalking for a version that has some
ability to pass in service provider info via the url request (tho not using
wms syntax).  This version also lets you stack different providers' tiles on
top of eachother (kinda like cascading wms).

 -Josh