[Tilecache] Preponderance of "stuck lock" errors when running tilecache_seed.py

Gissur Þórhallsson gissur at loftmyndir.is
Wed Jun 23 09:35:45 EDT 2010

Sorry to bump an old thread, but after going through an issue not unlike
this one, I have found that on linux, the vast majority of stuck locks are
due to poorly set permissions on the cache directory.

Personally I was pre-seeded as one user(www-data) while mod_wsgi was
generating tiles on the fly as another(daemon).
Tilecache encounters a stuck lock error during slicing up the metatile ,
efore it can experience a Permission Denied error.

Just thought I'd throw my two cents in there.

Kind regards,
Gissur

On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 7:55 PM, Christopher Schmidt <crschmidt at metacarta.com
> wrote:

> On Thu, Jan 08, 2009 at 11:31:25AM -0800, Roger André wrote:
> > Ok, so then if MetaTiling is used, the tilecache cannot be viewed while
> it
> > is being seeded. Correct?
>
> Typically, the TileCache 'lock' sticks around for 30 secnds before it
> thinks it is 'stuck'. This is configurable in the cache section of the
> cnofig file, to be longer.
>
> If your 'individual' metatiles take mre than 30 seconds to render, you
> should bump this up.
>
> If your 'stuck lock' messages are occurring sooner than 30 seconds, then
> you probably have a bug. Patches welcome, in that case.
>
> -- Chris
>

> > On Thu, Jan 8, 2009 at 11:23 AM, Christopher Schmidt <
> > crschmidt at metacarta.com> wrote:

> > > Tilecache
> errors
> is
> WMS
> > >
> > > MetaTiling is the *only* thing that uses locks. Without meta-tiling,
> > > locks would never happen.
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > --
> > > Christopher Schmidt