[Tiling] Fwd: [OSGeo-Standards] Irregular tile coverage in TMS?

Arne Kepp arne at tiledmarble.org
Sun Sep 12 14:31:06 EDT 2010

  My interpretation would be that 404 is the closest thing to a correct
response, at least if you want TMS to function the same way when served
from a directory of static files.

In GeoWebCache you can create b) using request filters, and the requests
that land on blank tiles result in a transparent PNG. That was mostly
for WMS-C's sake, where you can't return 404 and instead would have to
standardize a new OGC exception.

A transparent PNG is only some 200 bytes, which is usually comparable to
the HTTP overhead. The trouble with redirecting is that if you use a 301
the browser caches the redirect for as long as the target is valid, and
if you use a 302 it will recheck the redirect every time. (Only tested a
few browsers.) I stuck to sending the image each time with the same
expiration time as regular tiles.

-Arne