[Tiling] Fwd: [OSGeo-Standards] Irregular tile coverage in TMS?

Mateusz Loskot mateusz at loskot.net
Mon Sep 13 19:24:58 EDT 2010

On 13/09/10 04:12, Matt Priour wrote:
> In most instances, if you were having your tile creator cut tiles
> for only where data was present, then you would end up with the same
> type of pattern as the red example. The actual definition of the tile
> set would be the same as the regular tiles covering the entire
> bounding box of that tile set.

Understood.

Such situation may happen when a tile coverage is generated from
number of images, for example like on this drawing:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mloskot/4988406792/

3 separate images (represented as 3 colours) tiled and the tile set
is considered as a single tile coverage, non-rectangular.

> It is then up to your tile server as to what happens when it receives
> a request for a non-existent or empty tile.
> [...]
> Clients should be able to handle any of those type responses and
> behave appropriately.

Your explanation makes sense to me, of course.

Best regards,