[Tiling] Fwd: [OSGeo-Standards] Irregular tile coverage in TMS?

Paul Ramsey pramsey at cleverelephant.ca
Mon Sep 13 13:41:06 EDT 2010

On Mon, Sep 13, 2010 at 10:26 AM,  <christopher.schmidt at nokia.com> wrote:

> On Sep 13, 2010, at 1:06 PM, ext Paul Ramsey wrote:
>
>> It looks like these discussions might add some notes and alterations
>> to the existing document, so I've set up a page to track them and
>> their status. Eventually this could result in a TMS 1.1 page.
>>
>> http://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Tile_Map_Service_Specification_Change_Requests
>
> It might make more sense to go to a '2.0' and align TMS with the 0,0 top left
> that everyone else has gone with. (WMTS, Commercial Providers, OSM, etc.)

For the record, back in the day, you were right and I was wrong (once
again proving that implementation trumps theory)... the reason I clung
to my math coordinates (and my guns and my religion) is that for most
map projections there is no "top left" (ie, the valid range of the
plane doesn't just cut out). However, forcing the definition of a
maximum bounds as part of the specification gets around this and then
we could still support all projections and also move from math
coordinates to image coordinates for tile numbering.