[TOSprint] geoserver code sprint

Daniel Morissette dmorissette at mapgears.com
Thu Dec 10 06:02:56 PST 2015

Hi Jody, All,

Personally I see code sprints not only as an opportunity to code and to
work on technical challenges, but also and mostly as a community
building activity. Having developers in the same venue for a week helps
build and strengthen relationships and makes remote collaboration
between those developers easier later on. Bonus points it you have
multiple projects in the same room as you can also add another benefit:
cross-project collaboration.

One of the best success on that front in my mind has been the Vienna
Sprint that brought together ~50 participants from the QGIS, GRASS and
C-Tribe sprints. I also remember other sprints such as the NYC and
Philadelphia sprints that did well in attracting multiple project
communities, and I believe there are others that I am less familiar with
such as the Bolsena sprint that bring together multiple projects each year.

Unfortunately we cannot reproduce the Vienna Sprint success each year,
but I am of the opinion that whenever possible we should try to align
the dates of OSGeo sprints to bring together as many project communities
as possible as the benefits of multiplying the number of projects
involved are exponential. It's too late for the GeoServer and Paris
sprints unfortunately, and playing with numbers to justify the decision
is a waste of cycles in my opinion. Let's just try to keep this in mind
for the future and to coordinate better if we can.

BTW, I have seen that other sprints put more emphasis on the code than
on the social aspect and that's great, we need different types of
sprints for all tastes, I am just expressing my personal
opinion/preference here.

Daniel

On 2015-12-10 3:52 AM, Jody Garnett wrote:
> I am organizing a code sprint for GeoServer (mid January, Victoria BC).
>
> - wiki page <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/GeoServer_Code_Sprint_2016>
> - budget
> <https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1mp2xWq95t1rqwle6_WCQ0qD8D9-1icitLH0AiJQ7r4Y/edit#gid=990228872> (as
> per code sprint guidelines
> <https://wiki.osgeo.org/wiki/Code_Sprint_Guidelines>)
>
> When the GeoServer PSC started planning this sprint the date for the
> Paris code sprint was not set. We did check the numbers once the date
> was set and found that Canada ended up being a cheaper option.
>
> While I have organized a code sprint before, does anyone here have tips
> on making this one successful?
>
> Sponsorship is starting to come in (which is great) and we should meet
> our modest budget. The GeoServer PSC has focused on travel costs (being
> a key factor in bringing participants together for this work party). I
> was initially very concerned as the sprint topic, UI maintenance, is not
> very flashy.
>
> I see both sprint and hackfest being thrown around by OSGeo projects -
> is there an actual difference in these two terms?
> --
> Jody Garnett

Daniel Morissette
http://www.mapgears.com/