[Ubuntu] Hello (plus kubuntu Jaunty issues with Qgis)

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Tue Aug 25 15:17:40 EDT 2009

Hi Ricardo,

Effectively, the QGis doesn't work (since the package python-qgis is
installed) if the user use the kubuntu PPA. The reason is simple, the PPA of
kubuntu provides a new python-qt4 package and qgis isn't built with that
version. Unfortunately, I can do nothing for that... you imagine if I would
have to take care of all PPAs. Anyone can create a new PPA on launchpad and
put a new version of a basic package in it.

I don't know how exactly you solved your problem, but here's what could be
done to get QGis working under kde 4.3:

1- apt-get install devscripts build-essential
2- apt-get source qgis
3- apt-get build-dep qgis (this will install all build dependencies needed)
4- cd qgis-1.2.0
5- debuild -us -uc
6- cd ..
7- dpkg -i python-qgis_1.2.0-1~jaunty1_i386.deb

And your qgis will work. Note that this procedure needs to install all build
dependencies *-dev packages needed. Normally, it's better to rebuild a package
on a developement machine and not on a production server.

Hope this helps.
Alan

--
Alan Boudreault