[Ubuntu] ubuntugis PPA not there?

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Sun Nov 1 12:24:59 EST 2009

Ricardo,

I've re-uploaded the package grass and qgis for a rebuild. grass package
build is finished. However, you'll need to wait that the qgis build for
your architecture is finished. Check the following link for karmic
package status:

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable/+packages?field.name_filter=&field.status_filter=published&field.series_filter=karmic

About the grass wxpython gui, I've never used it but I would say that
everything should be installed automatically. May you confirm what's the
behavior of the new package ? (ensure that your already intalled
python-wxgtk2.8 package is uninstalled before trying to install the new
one)

Alan

Ricardo Garcia Silva wrote:
> Hi Alan and list
>
> I did as you said and added the ubuntugis-unstable PPA. It worked.
> Then I installed Grass and Qgis (and related dependencies, as shown by
> Synaptic).
>
> Problems:
> - Qgis won't start, it just throws a 'segmentation fault' message at the
> terminal.
>
> - grass's wxpython gui doesn't work out-of-the-box. I had to install
> package python-wxgtk2.8 (and dependencies) to make it work. I don't know
> if this is a problem, but maybe there should be some reference to this
> somewhere
>
> I'd really like to have Qgis running... can you help me out?
>
> On Sun, 2009-11-01 at 08:33 -0500, Alan Boudreault wrote:
>
>> Hi Ricardo,
>>
>> The packages for Karmic are not yet in the stable PPA yet. You'll have
>> to use the unstable ppa for the moment:
>> https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntugis-unstable
>>
>> Please report any installation problem if there is. I copied the
>> packages from jaunty to karmic last week... modified a few to get them
>> installable, but haven't get time yet to test all packages. It is
>> possible that some others packages need to be fixed.
>>
>> Thanks,
>> Alan
>>
>> Ricardo Garcia Silva wrote:
>>
>>> Hi list
>>> I just installed Ubuntu 9.10. I did a clean install. I wanted to add the
>>> ubuntugis-stable PPA to my repositories but it seems there is some
>>> error. whenever I try reloading my packages lists in Synaptic I get the
>>> error:
>>>
>>> Failed to fetch
>>> http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ppa/ubuntu/dists/karmic/main/binary-i386/Packages.gz  404  Not Found
>>> Some index files failed to download, they have been ignored, or old ones
>>> used instead.
>>>
>>> I added the PPA with the new methodology of just inserting
>>> ppa:ubuntugis/ppa in my software sources, as described at the PPA's
>>> website.
>>>
>>> Thanks for your help

Alan Boudreault
Mapgears