[Ubuntu] installation problem on ubuntu jaunty

Hamish hamish_b at yahoo.com
Fri Sep 11 08:13:53 EDT 2009

hilaire.drouineau wrote:
> First of all, thanks for your great job to maintain the
> ubuntugis repository. However, I have a problem to run qgis
> last version (1.2). All was working with qgis 1.1, but after
> updating to qgis 1.2, I can't launch qgis anymore and get an
> error message
> "grass fatal error -  Incompatible library version for
> module. You need to rebuild GRASS or untangle multiple
> installations".
> I tried uninstall and reinstall qgis but I still have the
> problem.
> Does anybody have an idea?

That is the GRASS error message you get when you try to run a
grass module which was built for a different version of the
grass libraries than it found (ABI incompatibility from gis.h).
Is the qgis package shipping it's own (now out of date) version
of the grass modules or libraries? do you have another set of
libgrass somewhere in your ld library path which it might be
picking up?

Hamish