[Ubuntu] installation problem on ubuntu jaunty

Gedas Vaitkus gedas.vaitkus at gmail.com
Fri Sep 11 05:32:08 EDT 2009

Yes,

The same problem here on Ubuntu Jaunty 64-bit.

I keep two copies of QGIS - 1.2 from ubuntu-gis (upgraded today), the
other 1.3 I compile myself. The problem with GRASS plugin emerged
immediately after upgrade of GRASS from 2.2.3 (Ubuntu default) to 6.4
RC5 (ubuntu-gis). There is also a gdal upgrade, but that doesn't seem to
cause problems with QGIS upgrade.

GRASS itself after gdal upgrade looks fine: I keep GRASS svn versions
6.4 (release branch), 6.5 and 7.0, and they all after recompiling on a
new gdal work fine.

I suspect there is a simple error of QGIS not being able to locate GRASS
libraries to activate the GRASS plugin. By default, GRASS (6.2.x)
libraries are located in /usr/lib/grass, while GRASS 6.4.x installs the
libraries into /usr/lib/grass64.

I created a symlink called grass to grass64 in /usr/lib and recompiled
QGIS 1.3 with /usr/lib/grass (the "standard" location). The strange
thing is that GRASS plugin compiles, but it doesn't "show up" in QGIS
afterwards.

Is there any way to correct QGIS configuration so that GRASS plugin
becomes available, or this is a GRASS 6.4 problem?

Thanks,

Gedas Vaitkus
-
Institute of Aerial Geodesy,
Applied Research Center
Pramones 13, 51327 Kaunas, Lithuania
TEL: +370 37 755226; FAX: +370 37 451497
GSM: +370 620 72870