[Ubuntu] UbuntuGIS Postgis 1.5.2 package broken?

pcreso at pcreso.com pcreso at pcreso.com
Tue Oct 19 18:39:13 EDT 2010

Hi guys,

I have just had Postgis 1.5.2 installed, to work with Postgres v9.0 on Ubuntu server 10.04LTS.
apt-get install postgis
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Suggested packages:
  postgresql-8.4-postgis
  postgis
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 6 not upgraded.
Need to get 617kB of archives.
After this operation, 2,109kB of additional disk space will be used.
Get:1 http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu/ lucid/main postgis 1.5.2-2~lucid1 [617kB]
Fetched 617kB in 3s (166kB/s)
Selecting previously deselected package postgis.
(Reading database ... 89248 files and directories currently installed.)
Unpacking postgis (from .../postgis_1.5.2-2~lucid1_amd64.deb) ...
Processing triggers for man-db ...
Setting up postgis (1.5.2-2~lucid1) ...
I did NOT install postgresql-8.4-postgis, which is suggested but supposedly not a dependency. and I'm running Postgres v9.0 anyway?

The files list for this package suggests that some critical files, like all the core Postgis files, are not included, but only the loader utilities & documentation are, ie:

/usr/bin/pgsql2shp
/usr/bin/shp2pgsql
/usr/bin/shp2pgsql-gui
/usr/share/doc/postgis/changelog.Debian.gz
/usr/share/doc/postgis/changelog.gz
/usr/share/doc/postgis/copyright
/usr/share/doc/postgis/postgis
/usr/share/doc/postgis/postgis/README.postgis.gz
/usr/share/doc/postgis/postgis/postgis.html
/usr/share/man/man1/pgsql2shp.1.gz
/usr/share/man/man1/shp2pgsql.1.gz

Is this an issue with the package, or something I have failed to understand about the install?

(I have another system with Postgres v9.0 from package & Postgis 1.5.2 compiled from source working fine, this is the first attempt to install Postgis 1.5.2 from the package)

Thanks,

  Brent Wood