[Ubuntu] Question about packages in Unstable ppa

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Thu Aug 25 11:20:21 EDT 2011

On Thu, Aug 25, 2011 at 4:42 PM, Giovanni Manghi
<giovanni.manghi at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> having enabled both the ubuntugis and the nightly-builds repository is
> harmless. The main difference (an important one indeed) is that qgis 1.7
> in the ubuntugis repo is compiled against gdal 1.8 available in the same
> repo, while qgis-trunk is compiled against gdal 1.6 available in the
> official ubuntu repo.
Read the original bug report:

Mixing repositories is causing the bug that was reported:
ubuntugis unstable also has a newer version of grass, which may be
installed. This means that tqgis-plugin-grass will not be installed,
because it depends on a version of grass which can not be installed.

So either Stanislav has to remove all of grass from ubuntugis and
install qgis from the qgis repository. Or he has to remove all qgis
from the qgis repository and install everything from the ubuntugis
repository.

> So installing qgis-trunk from the nigthly-build repo can lead to
> unexpected behaviours because it uses an old gdal library because there
> are recent features that need gdal >= 1.7 to work.
And daily builds can always lead to unexpected behaviour. That's why I
think it is better for novice users not to use them (that is, if
actual release are tested better than trunk, which is not always the
case).