[Ubuntu] UbuntuGIS Unstable update

Julien Malik julien.malik at c-s.fr
Tue Jun 19 05:51:59 PDT 2012

Hi Alan, all,

Thanks for providing those packages !

But...
I still have a blocking issue with the gdal 1.9.1 package.
The OTB deb package cannot read any TIFF file without crashing [1].
The same issue can be seen on Debian unstable now (Francesco and Paolo
in cc will be interested).

This is a long time issue but we have never been so close to a solution.
On my ubuntu lucid machine, when adding

  --with-rename-internal-libtiff-symbols=yes
  --with-rename-internal-libgeotiff-symbols=yes

in the gdal debian/rules file, the problem goes away.

By the way, with the current gdal package, tiff and geotiff symbols are
not hidden.
You can see that in [2] around the 'Found GDAL' section.
This means that you can link to libgdal.so to resolve tiff or geotiff
symbols.
I guess this is not expected (since the gdal package does not expose the
corresponding headers)

With our fix using the symbol renaming, things have never been so clean :
- no tiff/geotiff/jpeg symbols exposed
- our two testcases for linking with gdal and geotiff are clean :

-- Performing Test CHECK_GDALOPEN_SYMBOL
-- Performing Test CHECK_GDALOPEN_SYMBOL - Success
-- Performing Test CHECK_XTIFFOPEN_SYMBOL
-- Performing Test CHECK_XTIFFOPEN_SYMBOL - Success

Previously we had one of them failing on Debian, the other failing on
Ubuntu.
I expect them to be crystal clear now on all platforms.
No more tweaking of library link order necessary, etc...

This looks like the end of a several years old ([5]) nightmare for the
OTB devs ;)
So please consider integrating this small patch in the ubuntugis gdal
package and pushing a new package !
After that, it would (finally!) make sense for us to push orfeotoolbox
in ubuntugis as discussed a few month ago [6].

Paolo, would you make this test on Debian unstable and confirm ?
Frankie, your opinion on this would be much appreciated.

I'm already building a new version of the gdal package on our own ppa [4].
They should be published in a couple of minutes for anyone willing to test.

Thanks in advance,
Julien

[1] http://dash.orfeo-toolbox.org/testDetails.php?test=10403891&build=87738
[2] http://dash.orfeo-toolbox.org/viewConfigure.php?buildid=87738