[Ubuntu] ESRI, Microsoft Access Personal Geodatabase, PGeo and ogrinfo error: ODBC: Invalid install path

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Fri Mar 2 10:06:24 EST 2012

A few things you can try:

It seems that you have installed a local copy in /usr/local/lib,
whereas gdal is looking for mdbtools in /usr/lib
Can you tell us where limdb is installed?
ls  /usr/lib/libmdbodbc*
ls /usr/local/lib/libmdbodbc*
and which odbcinst you are running:
which odbcinst

It is usually better to install from the repositories rather than from
source, you may mix things which are compiled against different
versions of unixodbc.
Consider installing mdbtools and odbc using the provided packages:
mdbtools and unixodbc-bin

Apart from that: ODBCSYSINI is an environment variable. You can always
set it by running export ODBCSYSINI= sth before running your command.

Johan