[Ubuntu] new packages

Alan Boudreault aboudreault at mapgears.com
Thu Jan 10 06:44:14 PST 2013

Guys,

For your information, the ubuntugis-testing PPA has ubuntugis-unstable
as a dependencies. I've always used the testing ppa to put custom
version of a softwares. So a user have to add both repositories to get
everything working. Since there is not many packages in testing... I
think someone can easily setup the testing ppa, install the new
software... and remove/downgrade the packages if they want.

Would be cool if someone could document this in the wiki. Let me know if
you need any permissions.

Thanks,
Alan

On 13-01-09 06:35 PM, Alex Mandel wrote:
> Yes mixing repos could lead to some issues. There are several ways around:
> 1. use a virtual machine or other machine to keep them separate (1a
> would be a chroot)
> 2. use apt-pinning to select and keep the versions of particular things
> a certain way, some dependencies may break with this method.
>
> Option 1a while complicated would let you use multiple versions at the
> same time without VM overhead.
>
> Enjoy,
> Alex
>
> On 01/09/2013 12:54 PM, Johan Nilsson wrote:
>> But aren't where a risk that a newer version download package, that the
>> older version don't use and in that process uninstall the older package
>> that the older version need?
>>

>> 2013/1/9 Rashad M <mohammedrashadkm at gmail.com>
>>
>>> I think its possible because version numbers are different.
>>>
>>> GRASS GIS in ubuntu-testing is grass70, grass70-dev. but if grass70 is
>>> said to replace grass then only the last installed will be taken.
>>>
>>> Maybe other in the list have better answers :)

Alan Boudreault
http://www.mapgears.com/