[Ubuntu] [SoC] UbuntuGIS Weekly Report 6

Andreas Tille andreas at an3as.eu
Mon Jul 29 07:38:48 PDT 2013

Hi Jerome,

On Mon, Jul 29, 2013 at 09:26:57AM -0400, Jerome Villeneuve Larouche wrote:
> For Osmosis I'm trying to package the new released version 0.43.1
> which doesn't build the same way as 0.40. They use gradle now.

Well, that might make things a bit more difficult but finally I do not
think that this is a reason to derive from the plan to commit your work
to one of the repositories used by Debian GIS.  In case you would do it
somewhere else in the worst case somebody else would redo your work
because he might fail in realising your work.

> I can
> get it to compile but when I try it, it throws ClassNotFound
> exceptions, same thing happen when I build it myself without using
> debuild.

I have no idea where you otherwise could ask for help but if I'm blocked
by things like this I'm asking on debian-java list and finally always
had some success.  I see no reason not to try this.

> The ticket in lilbgdal-ecw-src is here:
> http://trac.osgeo.org/ubuntugis/ticket/34.

Thanks for the reference.  If you check the copyright please verify
if it is just non-free or even non-distributable.

> For Marble, contacting the maintainers might be a good idea since it
> seems that compiling without KDE removes a lot from Marble, I'll
> have to see with OSGeoLive too if it still works for them.

I can not comment here competently but from my naive point of view
stripping of serious functionality just to save some extra megabytes of
dependencies might be a bit oldfashioned - but I do not know the space
restrictions you need to meet.

> The blockage with Geotools is that it requires Java Artifacts that
> are not available in a .deb. The most important one is JAI which
> can't be packaged from what I understand because of its license.
> Someone told me that it may be possible to disable JAI in GeoTools
> so I'll have to look into it.

Here again my hint to debian-java I have just given in

   http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/ubuntu/2013-July/000817.html

Good luck with your GSoC project

        Andreas.

--