[Ubuntu] QGIS, Grass and GeoProcessing [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Fri Nov 22 01:32:01 PST 2013

On 11/21/2013 09:44 PM, Bruce Bannerman wrote:
> Hello,
>
> _Environment_
>
> Ubuntu: 12.04.03
>
> UbuntuGIS Repository: Unstable
>
> qgis: 2.0.1-Dufour
>
> saga: 2.0.8
>
> GDAL/OGR: 1.10.0
>
> Grass: 6.4.3
>

> I've been working with QGIS, looking at its potential as a GeoProcessing environment.
>
> I'm particularly impressed with its Processing environment, especially with its integration with Grass and SAGA.
>
> I have a query that may or may not be related to how QGIS is packaged.
>

> I'm trying to do some quite involved 'automated' vector data processing via Grass algorithms that really require a topological data set.
>
> Unfortunately I don't really seem to have an option in the environment that I'm using. The dialogs via QGIS that launch Grass algorithms typically default to a shape file format. They do allow options, however these are typically of similar style to a shape file and do not appear to be topological in structure.
>
> Is there any way to work with a topological data format in this environment?
>
> Is this constrained by the options compiled with OGR?
>

> Bruce

Bruce,

I don't think this is packaging specific. I believe it's based on how
the Processing toolbox in QGIS is coded. I think you should talk to the
author Victor on the QGIS dev mailing list.

I actually have a similar gripe that SAGA algorithms convert everything
to shp before using, which means I can't use my big 4 GB+ postgis data
sets with it.

Thanks,
Alex