[Ubuntu] Debian GIS Policy

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 3 19:07:36 PST 2014

On 01/04/2014 12:45 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 03, 2014 at 06:06:09PM +0100, Sebastiaan Couwenberg wrote:
>>
>> My intent for the "PPA for Ubuntu" paragraph in the proposed Debian GIS
>> team policy is to document the best practices for including packaging
>> for the UbuntuGIS PPAs in the Debian GIS git repositories.
>>
>> How the Debian GIS git repository is structured for the distribution
>> specific branches is documented in the "Common Git repository
>> structures" paragraph.
>>
>> The Debian and Ubuntu branches can also be complemented by OSGeo-Live
>> specific branches named "osgeo/8.0" for instance.
>>
>> I've asked for feedback on the UbuntuGIS specifics in the proposed
>> Debian GIS team policy in the "Collaboration between UbuntuGIS & Debian
>> GIS and its proposed team policy" thread starting at:
>>
>> http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/ubuntu/2013-December/000968.html
>>
>> The only feedback so far is a suggestion to split the general packaging
>> information into a separate page.
>
> I agree (and think I just responded in this sense) that creating all
> Blends policies from one common source by injecting the specifics and
> keeping the common things in one file.  However, sorting this out seems
> to be a lot of thinking and discussing which I was afraid about.
>
>> Splitting the packaging best practices from the policy document is not
>> an option, since documenting how to package for Debian GIS is it primary
>> purpose.
>
> +1
>
>> Not having the entire policy document as a single HTML page is probably
>> a good idea.
>
> May be but I see no real problem in having a single file.
>
>> I'll look at the Debian Med Policy change in more detail to help improve
>> the UbuntuGIS and OSGeo specifics in the proposed Debian GIS team policy.
> branches
> The main point is to make it pretty clear that Debian GIS is inviting and
> supporting everybody.

Hi Andreas,

Thanks again for the pointer to the derivatives change in the Debian Med
Policy. I've incorporated it for Debian GIS by referencing UbuntuGIS and
OSGeo-Live explicitly.

Changes to the Debian GIS policy source can be found in the pkg-grass
website repository:

http://anonscm.debian.org/gitweb/?p=pkg-grass/website.git

And I've updated the HTML version, for which the relevant sections are:

- Common Git repository structures

http://linuxminded.nl/tmp/pkg-grass-website/policy.html#git-repository-structures
-- Other branches
   http://linuxminded.nl/tmp/pkg-grass-website/policy.html#git-branches

- PPA for Ubuntu by UbuntuGIS
  http://linuxminded.nl/tmp/pkg-grass-website/policy.html#ubuntugis-ppa
- Derivatives working together with Debian GIS
  http://linuxminded.nl/tmp/pkg-grass-website/policy.html#derivatives

I still want to restructure the Packaging section to contain a packaging
walkthrough for a package lifecycle similiar to the Debian Perl Group
Git Guide:

http://pkg-perl.alioth.debian.org/git.html

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
GnuPG: 0xE88D4AF1 (new) / 0x77A975AD (old)