[Ubuntu] Debian GIS Policy

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Fri Jan 3 09:06:09 PST 2014

On 01/03/2014 10:17 AM, Andreas Tille wrote:
> I added a paragraph to the Debian Med policy where I describe how
> derivatives are working together with Debian Med.  This is probably
> quite interesting to take over into Debian GIS because it is inviting
> to interested persons:
>
>    http://anonscm.debian.org/viewvc/debian-med/trunk/community/website/docs/policy.xml?view=diff&r1=15713&r2=15719&diff_format=h
>
> which is rendered here
>
>    http://debian-med.alioth.debian.org/docs/policy.html#derivatives
>
> The goal is to strengthen the cooperation between people with the very
> same interest and help developers of derivatives to profit as best as
> possible from Debian GIS work.

Hi Andreas,

Thanks for the pointer to the Debian Med Policy change.

My intent for the "PPA for Ubuntu" paragraph in the proposed Debian GIS
team policy is to document the best practices for including packaging
for the UbuntuGIS PPAs in the Debian GIS git repositories.

http://linuxminded.nl/tmp/pkg-grass-website/policy.html#ubuntugis-ppa

How the Debian GIS git repository is structured for the distribution
specific branches is documented in the "Common Git repository
structures" paragraph.

http://linuxminded.nl/tmp/pkg-grass-website/policy.html#git-repository-structures

The Debian and Ubuntu branches can also be complemented by OSGeo-Live
specific branches named "osgeo/8.0" for instance.

I've asked for feedback on the UbuntuGIS specifics in the proposed
Debian GIS team policy in the "Collaboration between UbuntuGIS & Debian
GIS and its proposed team policy" thread starting at:

http://lists.osgeo.org/pipermail/ubuntu/2013-December/000968.html

The only feedback so far is a suggestion to split the general packaging
information into a separate page.

Splitting the packaging best practices from the policy document is not
an option, since documenting how to package for Debian GIS is it primary
purpose.

Not having the entire policy document as a single HTML page is probably
a good idea.

I'll look at the Debian Med Policy change in more detail to help improve
the UbuntuGIS and OSGeo specifics in the proposed Debian GIS team policy.

Kind Regards,

Bas

--
GnuPG: 0xE88D4AF1 (new) / 0x77A975AD (old)