[Ubuntu] Stable update

Alex M tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Mon Apr 25 13:04:45 PDT 2016

Renaming Testing would be fine. No one except testers should ever point
to it. The current usage of that repo is to build new versions, make
sure all the cross deps build, and then use it to cleanly push to the
Unstable repo via the ppa copy tools. This prevents use from breaking
unstable when we're waiting for something like the QGIS GRASS Plugin to
build correctly.

As for Stable vs Unstable, there are only occasional times when they
really differ. That time should be exactly when major new versions of
things come out. ie GRASS 6/7, Postgis 1.5/2.x, GDAL 1.x/2.x, QGIS 2.8/2.14

Historically we haven't done a great job of keeping stable very
relevant, but people running servers in production really ought to be
using it and not unstable. Maybe a clearer policy on when things should
move to stable needs to be made (it is ok for some packages to be the
same version as unstable).

Thanks,
Alex