[Ubuntu] Stable update

Johan Van de Wauw johan.vandewauw at gmail.com
Mon Apr 25 13:45:50 PDT 2016

On Mon, Apr 25, 2016 at 10:04 PM, Alex M <tech_dev at wildintellect.com> wrote:
> Historically we haven't done a great job of keeping stable very
> relevant, but people running servers in production really ought to be
> using it and not unstable. Maybe a clearer policy on when things should
> move to stable needs to be made (it is ok for some packages to be the
> same version as unstable).
With quite DebianGIS quite up-to-date, Ubuntu already has rather
recent versions of most packages. I think stable becomes perhaps even
less relevant. For non-LTS releases I think we should not use it
(well, never say never). For LTS releases, I think the policy of
copying whatever gets on OSGeo live after the release is quite a good
policy. It gets a lot of testing.

Kind Regards,
Johan