[Ubuntu] creating GRASS packages for UbuntuGIS

Sebastiaan Couwenberg sebastic at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 9 07:59:05 PST 2016

On 09-01-16 16:44, Martin Landa wrote:
>> It's quite rare to have Ubuntu specific packaging in the git
>> repositories so there is not much chance of collision. If the 'ubuntu/'
>> prefix is already used for Ubuntu specific changes (like the freexl
>> security updates for example), it's a good idea to use the 'ubuntugis/'
>> prefix for the PPA packaging to differentiate them.
>
> OK, I have build environment ready. I just don't see UbuntuGIS PPA
> even I have in RC file defined
>
> OTHERMIRROR="deb
> http://ppa.launchpad.net/ubuntugis/ubuntugis-unstable/ubuntu $DIST
> main"
>
> $ sudo DIST=wily cowbuilder --create --distribution=$DIST
> --basepath=/var/cache/pbuilder/base-${DIST}-ubuntugis.cow
>  -> Invoking pbuilder
>   forking: pbuilder create --buildplace
> /var/cache/pbuilder/base-wily-ubuntugis.cow --mirror
> http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ --architecture amd64
> --distribution wily --no-targz --extrapackages cowdancer
> <- here --othermirror is missig
> I: installing dummy policy-rc.d
> Get:1 http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com wily InRelease [218 kB]
> Get:2 http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com wily/main amd64 Packages [1420 kB]
> Get:3 http://ppa.launchpad.net wily InRelease [15.5 kB]
> Get:4 http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com wily/restricted amd64 Packages [15.6 kB]
> Get:5 http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com wily/universe amd64 Packages [6704 kB]
> Ign http://ppa.launchpad.net wily InRelease
> Get:6 http://ppa.launchpad.net wily/main amd64 Packages [961 B]
> Get:7 http://ppa.launchpad.net wily/main Translation-en [1026 B]
> Get:8 http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com wily/multiverse amd64 Packages [138 kB]
> Get:9 http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com wily/main Translation-en [839 kB]
> Get:10 http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com wily/multiverse Translation-en [107 kB]
> Get:11 http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com wily/restricted Translation-en [4296 B]
> Get:12 http://cz.archive.ubuntu.com wily/universe Translation-en [4579 kB]
>
> I don't see any UbuntuGIS PPA, I am not sure if it's OK.

The Get lines for ppa.launchpad.net are for the othermirror you specified.

There is only ossim for wily, most UbuntuGIS packages are for the LTS
releases.

https://launchpad.net/~ubuntugis/+archive/ubuntu/ubuntugis-unstable/+packages

>> You need to have a cowbuilder chroot for the Ubuntu distributions you
>> intend to build and upload the package for. In these chroots you need to
>> enable the ubuntugis-unstable PPA for the dependencies. Because
>> pbuilder/cowbuilder chroots reverts the changes after every run, you
>> need to use the --save-after-login option together with --login to
>> preserve the PPA changes.
>>
>> git-buildpackage uses the configuration in debian/gbp.conf to select the
>> appropriate branches and tags, you need to update these for the
>> UbuntuGIS packaging. As long as you use the same upstream tarball (from
>> the upstream branch) as the Debian package, you only need to change the
>> debian-branch option to ubuntugis/wily:
>
> $ debcheckout --user martinl-guest --git-track '*' grass pkg-grass
>
> Here I am lost, how to enter cowbuilder chroot and run git-buildpackage?

Start by reading the relevant sections of the git packaging walkthrough:

http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/packaging.html#git-walkthrough

Because you're using a chroot for a non-standard distribution and this
hasn't been configured in debian/gbp.conf, you need to specify the
distribution with the -ubuntugis suffix to have git-buildpackage use the
correct chroot (i.e. --git-dist=wily-ubuntugis). This is documented in
the 'Building the package' section:

http://pkg-grass.alioth.debian.org/policy/packaging.html#git-build-package

Kind Regards,

Bas