[Ubuntu] QGis 3 on UbuntuGIS PPA

Alex Mandel tech_dev at wildintellect.com
Thu Nov 1 09:02:26 PDT 2018

On 10/31/18 02:18, Micha Silver wrote:
> QGIS.org + ubuntugis unstable

For the absolute latest of everything where you don't have to build it
yourself.

While it's true that recent Ubuntu has newer of everything, if you use a
LTS variant of Ubuntu you will quickly be behind without using the
QGIS.org and ubuntugis repos. Bionic will soon be in the same situation
as Xenial.

For places of work, I only use LTS releases of Ubuntu. Actually a few
years back personally I stopped using non-LTS releases of Ubuntu at all,
too many minor quirks on each update, was only important if you had
really new hardware that wasn't supported by older releases, which is
mostly solved by the HWE where newer kernels can be installed on LTS
releases.

Thanks,
Alex