[OSGeo-UK] Responding to the consultation on opening Ordnance Survey's data

Joanne Cook j.cook at oxfordarch.co.uk
Mon Jan 25 06:31:37 EST 2010

Hi Jo,

This is fantastic! I am in discussion with Tyler about an OSGeo response to the proposals, but a joint OSGeo-OKFN response would be even better.

I'd urge everyone to take a look at the proposals, and even if you don't feel happy adding your comments to the document, feel free to raise them here. For instance, in my initial (albeit rapid) scan of the consultation, I felt that they were missing a large sub-set of people using the data. They talk a lot about "community mashups"- eg people making maps for their voluntary organisation, or something like that. They also talk about people making money from adding value to data, or selling software etc. Academics using data are also mentioned. But what about those of us who are not academics but use the data in our day-to-day work and don't directly profit from it. I didn't feel that sector was considered at all.

Hope to hear from you all soon!

Jo