[OSGeo-UK] Today's meeting

Suchith Anand Suchith.Anand at nottingham.ac.uk
Mon Apr 2 11:05:27 EDT 2012

Hi All,

Thanks for all of you who were able to attend today's OSGeo:UK IRC Meeting. I am putting info i can remember from today IRC. Please add/modify as needed.

Key items:

To get more case studies for OSGeo:UK website .Action- Anthony/Jo to send a reminder.

FOSS4G UK bid - Jo has already updated this. Full details at http://www.osgeo.org/conference/rfp

Action- All to promote UK for hosting FOSS4G 2013.

Key advantages for UK- Strong local chapter and community. The opportunity to host FOSS4G will add more momentum for Open Source GIS in government, industry and education in the UK.

Events:

GISRUK 2012- Open Source workshop (Saber etal)
Addy  will ge at GISRUK  and will print out some flyers for OSGeo and can host them on the EDINA stand.
AGILE 2012- Open Source GIS and Web Mapping workshop - Barend Kobben (ITC)
Jeremy  going on AGILE and WherecampEU. ELOGeo will be presented at AGILE workshop as well.
Mike Saunt was at Wrexham event with AGI last month

OSGIS 2012- will be held on 4-5th Sep 2012 at University of Nottingham. The website will be active later this week.  Will promote FOSS4G UK bid for 2013.

ELOGeo

Jeremy updated on current developments. The next phase of funding from JISC is to upgrade the interface for better searching & representation of the info in the repository; to have online learning materials (from Xerte  http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/xerte/ ) etc

We have a job going in the ELOGeo project. Job ad is here: http://bit.ly/elogeo-job

ELOGeo Mirrors - We wish to setup 3-5 mirrors of ELOGeo in key universities worldwide. If anyone interested in this please contact me or Jeremy.

Work now to setup archives of past FOSS4G conferences.

Action- Jo to update on bulk import on this.

Addy updated on developments in EDINA . EDINA has launched  http://edina.ac.uk/digimap/support/digimapelearning/index.html

Action: Suchith to contact Addy to find info on DSpace expertise in Edina for mirroring/synchronising

Next meeting is on 14th May 2012 (Monday) at 1-2pm (as 7th May is holiday)

Best wishes,

Suchith

Dr Suchith Anand
Nottingham Geospatial Institute
Nottingham Geospatial Building
University of Nottingham  NG7 2 TU
Tel: (0)115 82 32750
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/~lgzwww/contacts/staffPages/SuchithAnand/Suchith%20Anand.htm
http://www.nottingham.ac.uk/cgs/research/researchareas/opensourcegeospatialresearch.aspx
http://elogeo.nottingham.ac.uk/
http://ica-opensource.scg.ulaval.ca/

Leading Open Geospatial Science through ICA Commission on Open Source Geospatial Technologies

Mission - Building up Open Source, Open Standards, Open Data research for bridging the digital divide