[UN] Budget 2017 UN committee

Jeff McKenna jmckenna at gatewaygeomatics.com
Thu Dec 15 05:06:41 PST 2016

Hi Maxi,

I support sending an OSGeo representative to 2 meetings of the OpenGIS
initiative, for 2017.

I would also suggest that we request funding to host an "OSGeo-UN
Hackathon" event in 2017, where we would host a 3 day coding event and
invite lead developers from several OSGeo projects, to work specifically
with UN partners face-to-face over 3 days.  OSGeo representatives would
be funded for their time (yes, this is bold and shocking, but, this is
long overdue).  The amount we would request would be approximately 20k
(not the usual "3k to slide under the OSGeo Board radar", but an amount
that says to the OSGeo Board "we are serious about helping the UN and
its member nations leverage Open, and OSGeo is ready to step into that
role and invest".

The actual event would be a combination of workshops and hackathons,
depending on the needs of the UN partners.  As we found out in the
initial meetings with the UN GIS team in Seoul in 2015, various UN
partners are already examining OSGeo software, and this event in 2017
would really gets things moving in this "relationship".

If we wait for the UN to make all of this happen (and wait for their
funding) well it likely will never happen; so let us, OSGeo, give this
UN relationship a big kick into high gear, for 2017.

PS. yes I would volunteer to lead this event, create a wiki page with
more details, budget, research venues, set up program, gather OSGeo
experts, etc.

-jeff

--
Jeff McKenna