[Webcom] Community web site and tools

Tyler Mitchell (OSGeo) tmitchell at osgeo.org
Fri Apr 25 12:56:22 EDT 2008

Hi all,
One thing I've dreamed of for awhile has been a community-focused web
site, not just for some idealistic purpose but also for some very
real, practical tools that I think we could use.  Rather than our
primary osgeo.org site which is more outward facing, I think there
could be a good role for an inward one that helps out in a few ways.

Here are a few areas I'm thinking:

1 - Membership sign-up - it's a FAQ and annual outstanding item.
Personally needed so I have membership metrics that I can share
during presentations.
2 - Voting and polling - formal elections and informal questions from
the community.  Formally to help alleviate the strain of managing
annual election, nomination, verification, etc. processes
3 - Project/Committee sign-up tools
4 - Community blogging system
5 - Small donation collections and project funding drives
6 - way more... ?

Ideas 3-6 are just off the top of my head, whereas 1&2 are real
things I've tried to make some progress on but can't seem to wrap up
well.  In my feeble attempts I've got CivicRM (civicrm.org) running
(osgeo2) and I use it to track our charter membership lists, board
member list, donor list and financial donations.

I put this past the WebCom to see if there is general interest.  If
so, I'd like to try to find a couple people interested in helping
develop the tools and site further - first focusing on #1 and #2.

What do you think?