[Webcom] New website theme is up (not the content though)

Tyler Mitchell tmitchell at osgeo.org
Tue Oct 25 01:09:17 EDT 2011

For some reason I'm feeling responsible for the website, not sure how
I ended up here, but I really feel a bit stuck - technically, logistically...

The short story - there are three things going on:

1. Migration to a new server - enough fun on a normal day :)

2. Upgrade to at least one newer version (Drupal 5->7 preferred).
Unfortunately it's becoming hard to find the same modules in
newer versions, in particular ones like LDAP authentication and
learning how international translations will be handled.

3. Theme change - the theme is ready for Drupal 6, but it is designed
for use in a different "portal" style website.  This requires some new
content to be created.  Basically, new pages are needed for almost
every one of the key items shown in the menus at: http://www3.osgeo.org/

It can be a great site, and I think there is interest but technically
few people that have the time to help out.

I'm biting off as much of this as I can chew over the upcoming few
weeks (I'll be off for a week on Wed).

Aside from the new content, we could use a specific Drupal Master Admin
Guru - or move to a different framework if someone wants to take
that on.  Upgrading has just been too painful, but that's just for me!

We lost Wolf due to time availability and he'd whip through this in a
weekend just for fun.  Maybe if you can offer a free cruise (with him locked
in his cabin with only wifi) he'd work magic ;-)

Hope that helps,
Tyler