[webmap-discuss] Re: [Context.RWG] Using JSON instead of XML for OGC documents

Christopher Schmidt crschmidt at metacarta.com
Thu Nov 16 23:07:22 EST 2006

On Fri, Nov 17, 2006 at 02:55:35PM +1100, Cameron Shorter wrote:
> Without trying to claim to be a JSON expert, I found this link which
> suggests that JSON can be used to display nested structures.
> http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2006/05/31/converting-between-xml-and-json.html

This is correct.

> Joshua Lieberman wrote:
> >A quick look suggests that JSON is lightweight and easy because it's --
> >KVP.

A look which only brought this much information to light wasn't clear
enough. That's half of it. The other half is what takes it beyond this.
JSON.org says that JSON is: """

* A collection of name/value pairs. In various languages, this is
     realized as an object, record, struct, dictionary, hash table,
     keyed list, or associative array.
* An ordered list of values. In most languages, this is realized as
     an array, vector, list, or sequence.

"""

The rest of your (Josh's) reply was based around the idea that JSON is
only KVP, so I will stop there, and if you still think JSON has failings
in comparison to XML, I'd love to hear about them.

--
Christopher Schmidt
MetaCarta