[Context.RWG] Using JSON instead of XML for OGC documents

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 16 22:55:35 EST 2006

Without trying to claim to be a JSON expert, I found this link which
suggests that JSON can be used to display nested structures.
http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2006/05/31/converting-between-xml-and-json.html

XML:
<e>
   <a>text</a>
   <b>
     <c>text</c>
   </b>
</e>

JSON:
"e": {
   "a": "text",
   "b": {
     "c": "text"
   }
}

Joshua Lieberman wrote:
> A quick look suggests that JSON is lightweight and easy because it's --
> KVP. It may be easy to pass and to process but there are reason's (total
> obscuration of document structure, etc.) that XML has been preferred for
> more complex messages. One can certainly deconvolve XML into an infoset
> representation to serialize in KVP, but it can't be any easier to
> process nested structures in this format and probably is harder.
>
> Now this can be taken the other way as a reason among others to maintain
> and update KVP bindings for which JSON would be straightforward and
> appropriate, and not be drawn into complex SOAP + XML for all
> client-server interactions.
>
> As far as providing an alternate KVP serialization of such things as
> context documents, I'm open to the possibility, but it does seem in
> principle to be intended for richly hierarchical content, perhaps not
> the best candidate for JSON.
>
> Josh
>
> Joshua Lieberman, Ph.D.
>
> Principal, Traverse Technologies Inc.
>
> mailto:jlieberman at traversetechnologies.com
>
> tel +1 (617) 395-7766
>
> fax: +1 (815) 717-981
>

> On Nov 16, 2006, at 5:34 PM, Cameron Shorter wrote:
>
>> Context working group,
>>
>> Regarding: http://json.org
>>
>> There has been discussion amongst http://openlayers.org developers about
>> using JSON instead of XML for storing OGC documents (like OGC Context,
>> WMC, and probably a host of other documents too).
>>
>> The reason for considering JSON over XML are:
>> * In Web Browsers, XML support is patchy.
>> * Consequently extra code is required to be downloaded to cover all
>> browsers.
>> * In browser clients, code size is a major consideration as
>> size=bandwidth=speed.
>> * JSON is reportedly faster to process.
>>
>> JSON reportedly has all the other advantages of XML like being
>> structured, easy to read, is supported by multiple languages etc.
>>
>> One thing discussed is standing up XML<->JSON services.
>>
>> I'd be interested to hear comments from OGC participants on these ideas.
>>
>> Feel free to foward onto others more appropriate.
>>
>> --
>> Cameron Shorter
>> http://cameron.shorter.net

Cameron Shorter