[webmap-discuss] Choosing a Web Mapping Platform Wiki

Cameron Shorter cameron.shorter at gmail.com
Sun Sep 24 16:09:06 EDT 2006

Paul,
Excellent start here, and next time I get a spare moment, I'd like to
add to it.

The target audience for this page should be web developers who know
little or nothing about web mapping.

So we should have a background section describing key issues to consider
when designing a web application. Ie:
* Bandwidth associated with sending vector graphics to the client.
* Benefits of AJAX.
* Benefits of tiling and caching.
* Speed of rendering in browser and server.
* Size of JS sent to client and relate that to time.
* ...

I agree with Richard that we need a table showing which applications
provide which features. This should include size of JS downloaded for
each application.

Users will want to know that the application they fix is going to be
supported and flexable in the future. So we should discuss WebMap.js,
how it is being used by applications, whether is will be possible to
migrate from one application to another in the future if conditions change.

Paul Ramsey wrote an excellent "State of Open Source GIS" paper, which
includes a section describing how to assess Open Source projects.
http://www.refractions.net/white_papers/oss_briefing/2006-06-OSS-Briefing.pdf
We should answer these questions for each project:
* Is the project well document?
* Is the development team transparent?
* Is the software modular?
* How wide is the development community?
* how wide is the user community?

We should have a section for each application which starts:
Mapbuilder is ....
You should choose Mapbuilder if you want ...
Mapbuilder's future direction is ...

Cameron Shorter
http://cameron.shorter.net