[intl-discus] International user groups

Tyler Mitchell tylermitchell at shaw.ca
Wed Feb 15 13:15:40 EST 2006

On February 15, 2006 08:12, Frank Warmerdam wrote:
> I certainly can agree with the above.  The caveat I would offer is
> that there are often already such groups and in those cases I think
> we need to work with them, rather than try to duplicate them.  This
> was part of the rationale for the list at:
>
>    http://www.fossgis.de/osgeo/index.php/Like_Minded_Regional_Organizations

I agree. When I say "support" development of user groups, having the above
link/site is one of those great ways we can support each other.  This is a
great start!  It will be very interesting to see what groups come out of the
woodwork.

> > Some countries and cities already have successful ones.  We have a
> > successful international conference.  Other groups just need some more
> > moral support, guidance/encouragement or maybe some infrastructure to
> > help get things going.  My dream is to have at least one OSGeo user
> > group representative from every country
>
> Every country!  That seems extreme.

Is it not reasonable to think that there might be at least one person in every
country who might be using (or interested in using) some OSGeo-related tool?
I know it's just a nice philosophical idea, but come on, think big - I did
say it was my "dream" afterall, didn't I? :)

Tyler