[intl-discus] International user groups

Daniel Brookshier dbrookshier at collab.net
Wed Feb 15 13:39:28 EST 2006

I have been running user groups for the past 11 years and
participated in others from an early age - if you count the Scouts
and Explorers. The most important thing is to just hold a regular
meeting with an agenda topic. Monthly works the best.

I'd also tend to just run it yourself. Most user groups do not need a
charter or elections, just a purpose and someone willing to organize
and M.C. the meetings.

Success is just a matter of having a large percentage of topics that
meet the needs of most of the audience. That means making it a
priority to work on basics and open source. If you have vendors, make
sure that it is less than a third of the presentation (or that most
of the audience already uses it). You also want a stable of topics
and speakers. Canceling a meeting because the speaker can't attend is
really debilitating and impacts the rhythm of attendance.

Building attendance is a matter of networking.  Talk to local
universities, organizations, and even other related email lists.

It's just hard work and persistence.

Daniel Brookshier
Community Manager
214-207-6614