[ZOO-Discuss] Static libraries in ZOO (libcgic)?

Markus Neteler neteler at osgeo.org
Thu Nov 4 08:01:26 PDT 2010

Hi Gérald,

On Thu, Nov 4, 2010 at 2:28 PM, Gérald Fenoy <gerald.fenoy at geolabs.fr> wrote:
> Hi Markus,
> my comments bellow,
> Le 4 nov. 2010 à 12:14, Markus Neteler a écrit :
>
> Hi,
>
> we are currently trying to install ZOO on Fedora14 but have the problem
> that libfcgi.a is used in
>
> http://zoo-project.org/trac/browser/trunk/thirds/cgic206/Makefile
>
> which doesn't exist at least since Fedora13.
>
> did you tried modifying the Makefile of cgi206 to use the FastCGI dynamic
> library ? I think this shall work.

Luca says that this works. He'll write more about this asap.

> I wonder why a static library
> is called here and why libcgic is generated as static library, too.
> I thought that dynamic libs (.so) are way more effective?
>
> In fact since the begining we try to make ZOO-Project as less intrusive as
> possible. I mean, if there is some program which depends on libcgic dynamic
> library and you remplace by our own copy I think that some things can be
> wrong. So we thought that it can be a good idea to avoid the use of dynamic
> library for the libcgic.
> About the FastCGI static library use, as we use libcgic as a static library,
> I thought that it can be good to get a dependency free library, I can be
> wrong.

Not wrong for sure :) It is a matter of (technical) choice.

> I agree that that dynamic libraries can make the final binary smaller in
> size but what is exactly the efficiency you're talking about, can you give
> me more details ?

Not too much - I was basically driven by the fact that the static lib no longer
exists... Years ago we turned GRASS from static to dynamic compilation, there
it was really relevant!

Cheers
Markus