[OSGeo Africa] Africa Open Source GIS mailing list news

Paul Scott pscott at uwc.ac.za
Mon Jun 26 01:58:30 EDT 2006

Ugh! Sorry, have been away at various conferences/workshops/meetings
etc. Just got back from a round trip of Addis Ababa, London, and
Florence, so am only really managing to catch up on some mail now...

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 11:16 +0200, Gaby van Wyk wrote:
> Hi All
> I would think that a course like this should rather take the form of a
> 'Hackfest' where people bring computers, laptops etc. It would be
> great if people can actually go away having had fist hand contact. I
> think this could then be followed up with on-line course - great idea.
> (Paul - I know that it will probably be a bit difficult to attend for
> those in WC)

Difficult, yes, hence the suggestion of an online course and
collaboration. Most of what can be done in a live course, can be done
online using our toolset. At the same time, it has the added advantage
of working in workgroups (say a GRASS group, a qGIS group, a PostGIS
group etc) which can be more specialized for people that are
interested.

A hackfest is cool, but it should be done as a group of people in the
same room, all connected to the same site so that it becomes a mixed
environment of online and offline learning. We have found that this is
an _extremely_ effective strategy in getting projects off the ground,
and websites turning very rapidly into vibrant communities. See
http://fsiu.uwc.ac.za/ as an example. This site was started to host a
mixed environment workshop, and is still going strong. The site has now
evolved into a community site and a primary entry point for OSS people
all over the world.

> On 6/15/06, Jody Garnett <jgarnett at refractions.net> wrote:
>         Hi Paul,
>
>         Checking that out ... darn sorry I was away for the GIS
>         Conference in
>         April there. Is this site different login/password then the
>         usual osgeo
>         wiki and website? I am already split over so many websites for
>         OSGEO I
>         do not know what to do...

Jody,

Yes, you will have to register on the site. It is really easy though to
modify your password to be the same as all of your other logins though!

I have the added advantage of being able to auth against our LDAP server
to get into the site, so I forget sometimes the issues of passwords and
multiple logins. That being said, however, I would really like to see
the site moving, as it can be a valuable resource (For Africa, by
Africans, with software created in Africa...)

--Paul