[OSGeo Africa] Spatial data viewer to run off a CD?

Bart van den Eijnden (OSGIS) bartvde at osgis.nl
Thu Oct 18 07:31:17 EDT 2007

Yeah, but you would still need a Mapserver (and a localhost webserver)
to render the images from the shapefiles (or pre-generate tiles from the
shapefiles and put them on the CD which could become a storage problem).
OpenLayers can't load shapefiles directly ofcourse.

I would recommend Quantum GIS for this purpose, but probably things like
uDIG or MapWindow GIS can do this as well.

Best regards,
Bart