[OSGeo Africa] Importing Data into Postgresql

Tim Sutton tim at linfiniti.com
Sat Dec 13 04:21:02 EST 2008

Hi

In addition to the other replies given to this thread you can also try:

- use the 'SPIT' plugin in QGIS to bring your data into PostgreSQL
- use the command line e.g.

shp2pgsql -s 4326 -t tdwg_world_boundaries level4.dbf | psql gis

However the second option above may not work well on windows where they
only give you a broken cmd.exe shell environment.

If you and others need more help, I'd be happy to run a 'bring your own
machine' type workshop focussed on getting to grips with PostGIS a bit
more and helping you to load all your own data.

PostGIS really is the core of any FOSS based spatial data infrastructure
and is well worth getting to grips with.

Regards

Tim