[OSGeo Africa] QGIS course: 4-6 April at Elsenburg

Gavin gavinjfleming at gmail.com
Wed Mar 9 05:35:51 EST 2011

Dear all

AfriSpatial through the FOSS GIS Academy is offering a Quantum GIS
Course at Elsenburg near Stellenbosch from 4-6 April 2011.
Price: R3000 (no VAT)

There is an optional extension covering an introduction to PostGIS on
7-8 April, for those of you interested in a powerful spatial data
analysis and management platform.
Price for QGIS + PostGIS: R5000 (no VAT)

Cost includes course materials, a DVD with software and data and a
certificate of attendance.

Cost excludes catering and computers.

NB: Bring your own laptop, you will do the course on your own computer.
You will leave with QGIS and other FOSS GIS software set up and working
on your computer.

We need at least 8 people confirmed by 18 March. To confirm please pay
or provide an order before 18 March.

If you would like to register please do so here  and we will send you a
(pro-forma) invoice.

Course overview

This is an introductory-level course. So if you are new to GIS, new to
FOSS GIS or are experienced in other GIS software and want to find out
how to do your work in Quantum GIS, this course is for you.

Our aim is to make you comfortable with FOSS GIS tools for day to day
GIS work. Quantum GIS provides a compelling alternative to proprietary
GIS in many situations. We will start by installing QGIS, then take you
through the workflow of loading data from disparate sources, creating
data from scratch, data analysis and producing a professional map
suitable for delivery to a decision maker. We will also take a look at
some of the many plugins available for QGIS and touch on the use of
GRASS within QGIS. Lastly we will look at how QGIS can be integrated
into a multi-user enterprise environment by using it as a web services
and geospatial database client.

--
regards

Gavin